New Faculty: Apply Now for Research & Discovery Camp
23 August 2017 - Aug. 30 is the last day to apply for Research & Discovery Camp, a two-day professional development opportunity for new faculty members at the University of Arkansas. The camp will take place Sept. 12 and 13, and all expenses will be covered by the Office of the Provost and the Office of Research and Economic Development. First-, second- and third-year tenure-track faculty are eligible to apply.
Research Camp participants will be introduced to research development and research compliance policies, procedures, and resources. They will learn about the research enterprise at the University of Arkansas, and specific programs will be targeted to federal, state, industry and foundation funding, as well as publishing opportunities.
- Introduction to the University of Arkansas research enterprise
- Finding research opportunities (PIVOT)
- Grant writing
- Panel discussions on
- Federal funding
- Industry funding
- Managing your time as a productive researcher
- How to get the most from your mentor
- Protecting your intellectual property (IP)
- Working with IRB and IACUC
- Bringing your research into the classroom
- Getting started with your research
- Setting up your laboratory and purchasing equipment
- Hiring post-docs, graduate students and undergraduate students
- Reviewing policies related to research
- Impact of research on your third-year review and promotion and tenure (P&T) decisions
Interested faculty should communicate their interest to their department chair or head. Participants will be selected based on the strength of individual applications, commitment to pursuing funding (by agreeing to submit a future proposal for external funding) and department chair/head recommendations. Applications will be reviewed, and the cohort will be selected by the Office of Research and Economic Development and the Office for Faculty Development and Enhancement.